1. What is Food.com?
It is a company that lets customers order lunch and dinner from their computers.
2. How many restaurants have signed up with the service?
12,000 restaurants have signed up for the service.
3. Who can use Food.com?
Anyone with an internet account can use Food.com
4. How does the Food.com system work?
It works as follows:
Consumers go to Food.com on their computers, then type in their street address and phone number. The computer shows them which restaurants have takeout and delivery service in their neighborhood. It also shows them the menus, so they can decide what they want to eat. Next, a customer e-mails an order to Food.com. The company’s computers change the e-mail message into a telephone message. Then they send the order by telephone to the restaurant. A restaurant worker confirms that they received it. They return a message that says how long it’ll take to deliver the food. Food.com also sends an e-mail message to the customer. It tells them when the food will arrive. The whole ordering process takes about seven minutes. Finally, the restaurant or a de livery service brings the food.
5. How long does it take to place an order?
It takes around 7 minutes.
6. Do you think it’s easier than using a telephone? Why or why not?
No, it’s not. Because asking the customer to email their orders is not really practical. Also, the procedure still uses phone calls as a medium. If you are paying $400 and $50 as monthly fee, it means you can afford a computer and an internet connection rather than relying on phone calls. Whoever wrote this article had no idea on how e-marketing is done.
7. Why do some customers like the system?
because it saves time on reading the menu. And restaurants do not put you on hold.
8. How does Food.com make money?
It charges the restaurants $400 for listing the menu and a monthly $50 to keep it online.
9. What do restaurants need to be part of Food.com?
They just need a telephone.
10. Why might this way of ordering food become very successful?
It MIGHT become successful because lots of Americans like their food delivered.
11. How often do you order dinner for takeout or delivery? Why?
Not too often, because I like to have my meals out.